1. Tell us a bit about Onidodo
Onidodo means plantain seller in Yoruba, a language spoken in Nigeria. However the name was created by our last name Oni and Dare’s favourite food plantain which means Dodo in Yoruba. Onidodo started as a supperclub in 2014 and we were fortunate to launch February 2018.
Onidodo is a modern Nigerian restaurant that creates authentic dishes with a modern twist.
2. What inspired you to create a Nigerian Restaurant in London?
We both enjoy dining out but always felt frustrated when it came to dining at a Nigerian restaurant. We had a strong conviction to change this, to change the perception of African restaurants and to present Nigerian food in a way that’s appealing to everyone.
3. What has been your greatest challenge in starting Onidodo?
Firstly, finding the right location, certain areas were saturated with Nigerian restaurant although with a different concept from ours.
Secondly, getting people to know/come to us. Most people have found us through social media and sometimes believe it’s a hype but our reviews speak for itself. So we are constantly encouraging our potential customers to actually come in, we are not just a hype, we are passionate about what we do.
4. What has been the most rewarding part of starting Onidodo?
The satisfaction of the customers. When a customer experiences Onidodo, you can literally see the joy on their face of satisfaction and pride. This happens very often it let’s us know that we are doing something right and gives us that extra boost to keep going.
5. What advice would you give to others trying to start their own restaurant or food business?
There is so much advice that we could give as we have learnt a lot through Onidodo, but the most valuable piece advice is to take it a day at a time and above all be consistent.
6. Where would you like to see Onidodo in five years time?
Having a few more branches!
7. What’s your favourite dish on the menu?
Dare: Tiger Prawns Jollof Spaghetti and Asun Pie.
Segun: Lamb Shank with Yam porridge Puree
8. Where are you situated for us to come & visit?
We are based at 83 Turnpike Lane Station, N8 0DY. 5 minutes walk form Turnpike Lane Station towards Muswell hill.